Thursday, July 19, 2012

DAY 28 - TETON VILLAGE, RENDEZVOUS MT. TRAM

SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2012

We attended 10 AM Mass at Our Lady of the Mountains parish in Jackson, WY.  The priest was a visitor himself, as he was filling in for the Pastor.  After Mass, there was a Coffee hour which we attended, and like at home, we were the last to leave.  Russ and I met separate folks to sit and talk with, and it was a most enlightening experience for me.

I met Julian, pronounced "Hool ian".  He has been living in Jackson for the past eleven years, with his wife and two daughters.  They were not with him on Sunday, as they are home visiting his wife's Mother, who is sick, in Mexico.  We talked about his family, work as a Tile layer, and the difference in educational opportunities for his girls, here versus in Mexico.  He apologized for his English, and I countered with the fact that I did not have any knowledge of his native tongue, and was more ashamed that I had never made an effort to learn a second language, as he had been forced to do, if he wanted to have a good life here.  I'm sharing this because Julian was a blessing to me on Sunday.  He sat alone at a table, and the table where Russ was sitting was full (no room at the Inn for me to join in there).  I felt God speaking to me, nudging me to talk with the man sitting alone.  We both came away with a joyful heart, and both of our days were richer because of the opportunity the Coffee hour gave us to get to know one another. 

We stopped at Wendy's for lunch, and then took Rt. 22 North, 14 miles out of Jackson on the West side of the Snake River, to Teton Village.  The elevation at Teton Village is 6,311ft..  The Tram ride promised us a vertical rise of 4,139 ft, which was a 15 minute ride and covered 2 and 1/2 miles uphill.  The view was awesome, and well worth the Senior price of $23, which we reduced to $19 each with a coupon cut from the Virginian RV Park map, we had been given.  We arrived at the top, exactly at 4 PM.  The temperature up there at 10,450 ft. elevation was 61 degrees.  I believe it was 86 degrees when we left Jackson, Wy.  I was glad I had taken my jacket along, just in case.  It was very windy at the top of Rendezvous Mountain.  I had to be very careful when I was stooping over to take wildflower pictures, to prevent my losing my balance on the hillside.


Sunday, more than made up for our disappointment with the Rain on Saturday.
God seemed to want us to be renewed in mind, body and spirit with all he
presented to us on Sunday.

On our return trip to Jackson,  we stopped at the Bar J Ranch, just about five miles South of Teton Village, for their Chuck Wagon dinner Combo of Chicken/Beef BBQ and a Cowboy Music Show.  The price of $25 each, which included tax and gratuity, was another bargain, almost too good to be true, in this Resort atmosphere.  We are so glad we arrived at about 5:30 PM, because it gave us a table in row C5, very close to the Stage, and one of the first lines called for the food line when dinner was served at 7 PM.  This family establishment  has been operating for 35 years, and they know how to feed a crowd in 15 minutes flat.  Their website is:  www.barjchuckwagon.com .  We had some delightful tablemates from Banks, Or - e - gun, Andy and Gail Haboush.  They gave us some great travel tips regarding things to see when we get into their State.  They even suggested that we try to give them a call when we are in their area.  This is part of the Journey that we love.  Meeting new folks, and learning about places they treasure and recommend to us.

So completes our 28th day on the road again
Tomorrow we will be traveling to West Yellowstone, Montana.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely flowers. Guess you're so light now that the wind can blow you over. LOL!

    ReplyDelete