Saturday, August 18, 2012

AUGUST 8, 2012 - U.S. Hwy 101 South to REDWOOD COUNTRY

Wednesday
AUGUST 8, 2012

We are using Kamp Klamath as our base of operations. 
Today, we drove US Hwy 101 South to Exit 753,
 and took the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway. 
We pulled over at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park
 which claims to have the World's Tallest trees.
  I believe that is the Redwood's claim to fame,
not necessarily this Park's.
We walked the Foothills Woodland Trail,
 after having our picture taken at the BIG TREE.
I will show you the vital stats for that tree.
NOTE:
It takes three photos to show its
awesome height.




There was not enough distance in my
camera's frame to include the entire
tree in the same photo.

We started our walk on the Woodland trail about 11:45 AM,
and got back to the truck at 2 PM.  We literally
"walked among the Redwoods"
and experienced their
greatness.  We had the path
all to ourselves, and
often had to walk single file.
Occasionally, we would hear
the sound of a Chickadee and
one time when I mimiced their
song, a Steller Jay came into view.
Another surprise came our way when I looked down
and saw a Banana Slug.


It seemed to hear me talking to it, and
almost posed
on its mossy log.
We saw two others during the
afternoon, but this first one
was the most developed.
It was about 4 inches long,
and the width of my thumb.

The birds kept us company on the trail.



A young VARIED THRUSH
which is about the size of a Robin,
seemed to flutter into my path.
He was too young to be afraid,
and stayed long enough for me to
take at least twenty pictures of him.
I video taped him, and so did Russ.
What a thrill to then see his
brothers and sisters fluttering
through the trees, making me think
they were just fledging. 



The path was rerouted
 around this giant that no longer stands.

 


I love looking through the roots
 of some of the fallen giants.
  This one created a beautiful frame.



I would have loved
 to put these
colorful flowers in
the frame.
However, they  need
lots of sunshine,
and it was not until
we got back to the Truck
that we saw them in the
open clearing.

I have to mention how God watches out for us.
We walked lots farther than we had
expected, but were not afraid
because we could hear vehicles,
and sometimes see
the distant road. 
We thought we were walking
a Loop trail but came out
one miles from our starting point,
and probably had walked 3 miles.
The one couple we met on the trail,
just before coming out to the road,
decided to turn back
to their car, and offered
us a ride back to our Truck.
We later drove that distance
and it was ONE MILE.

We were so glad we had a nice
lunch waiting in the Truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment